Ever Wanted to Live a Spider's Life? (My New Interactive Fiction Game!)


                Long time no see, Reader! I have been away for a while working on lots of new things. My most notable and relevant project, though, is my choose your own adventure story!


                I have always tried to find ways to make jumping spiders more relatable to the general public. If spiders appear less foreign to people, then maybe they would be randomly killed less often. My passion for spiders sometimes is enough to change a person's mind about Salticids, along with how well behaved my babies are! Right now, my girls that I show to people are Honey and Kasdyn. I used Kasdyn as a potential player name in my game because I liked it so much, and partially due to how far Kas has come in the past week or so. She's a spaz, but when she calms down a bit, she's such a good girl! Honey is also very well mannered. The difference between my two girls may come from an age difference, but Honey is less prone to wandering the whole time. That's not to say that she doesn't like to walk around sometimes, but she listens to me when I communicate with my hand signals that I don't appreciate something she's doing. Honey is much less defiant than Kasdyn, but Kasdyn is just bolder and more independent. They are both sweet!

                Something interesting that really reignited my spider-loving spark was that Honey actually ate something out of my hand. It was a silverfish, actually, which you'll know if you have ever opened a drawer or moved a couch in your life. Or not, maybe I'm just gross! Well, in any case, they're these things:

This definitely sparked interest in me, since none of my spiders were ever so calm about eating with me. They usually only would eat if the prey was in their enclosure, and only if I didn't bother them too much before feeding them. This came as a huge surprise to me, and I was even more amazed to see that Kasdyn, who is not completely "tame" yet, was willing to do it too!

                I knew I had to do something to further my cause now. My passion was churning within me, and I had to spread some of it before my heart burst. This is when I came up with the idea to combine three of my recent passions- coding, writing, and spiders! I have now spent a good 30+ hours on this game, pouring my sweat, blood, and tears into about.. 10 minutes of gameplay. Yeah, that's a game maker's life, I guess. But I'm sticking with it, since the results are fantastic! Now that chapter one is finished, I need players to bug test. Spread the word, guys! I will be posting more on my blog from now on, updating my game as I complete new chapters and endings, and giving you the latest news on my arachnid kids!




Comments